Thursday, March 31, 2011

Cy Twombly : Master of Abstract


Wilder Shores of Love, 1985

In my opinion Cy Twombly's work is to Abstract painting, what
 John Singer Sargent's work is to Portrait Painting...
They are masters of both of their methods, and no one really compares...

Honestly, I think "Wilder Shores of Love" (above) is a piece that I would trade 
all of my teeth for,(if I lived in a society that traded all of their teeth)? 
My favorite painting ever...


Untitled, 1988





Pan II, 1980


Coronation of Sesostris, 2000 (panel 8)


Untitled, 1989


Fifty Days at Iliam: The Fire that Consumes All before It, 1978


Hero and Leandro (A Painting in Four Parts) Part I, 1984


Hero and Leander (To Christopher Marlowe) [Rome], 1985


Untitled 1954


Suma, 1982


Min-Oe 1951


Untitled I, 2005 (Bacchus)



These would fit in so many different environments, it is really quite amazing.
Traditional palm beach estate? Check. Upper East-Side apartment? Check.
Mid-Century/Boho-Luxe Silverlake villa? Check. Miami penthouse?
Check. Airstream trailer, down by the river? Check. And that is
where I would be living if I ever tried to buy one of these...

2 comments:

MANDY said...

I adore Cy Twombly !!!

Sarah Greenman said...

Ooooh! I love "fire that consumes all before it". What stunning pieces.

Share |
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...