Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Seattle Art Museum - Kurt Cobain


The "Kurt" exhibit is now showing at the "Seattle Art Museum", and I have to say I was kind of dreading going, as I thought it would be, well, stupid . I was preparing for the worst, but walking through, I think Kurt and his fans would enjoy the flash-less-ness of it. Some of it was brilliantly simple and evoked a melancholy mood with an creative edge. I felt super emotional while walking through it, wondering if he would have had the chance to age, if he would have found happiness. I was at this show, I mostly remember Courtney stumbling around. She was mesmerizing to me.

Photo by Alice Wheeler, Kurt Cobain at Live and Loud ,Pier 63.


Charles Peterson, courtesy of SAM

"Nirvana, Rajis, Los Angeles, 2/15/90"


Courtesy of SAM

"Untitled (Forensic Scene)," by Jordan Kantor, 2006

This image is burned in my memory. I remember exactly where I was and what I was wearing. The same shoes that he had on in the pics.




This was my favorite piece of all of them...This woman made a video of herself in a mall while "Smells Like Teen Spirit" was playing in her ears only, and she was dancing like a nutbag. This was a serious piece, that is hard to take seriously. I LOVED it..
Gillian Peckham, Dancing in Wearing- 1994.
If you would have told me 20 years ago that a "Hard Rock Cafe" would be opening in Seattle in 2010, with grunge memorabilia plastered all over the walls, I think I would have puked in my mouth a bit. Alas, it did open, and I have to say it was fairly tastefully done, but weird none the less.

No comments:

Share |
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...